Monday 14 December 2015

The secret is daily engagement.

We are at that time of year where people start setting goals. What are we going to do in 2016? Goals to most people are targets to reach. A lot of people understandably have survival goals. Paying the bills, passing the exams, getting a new job.

Others go further and want to loose weight, give up cigarettes, make the football team. Or add financial goals. A new House. Personal goals. Starting a Family.

A few even write them down and fewer still create vision boards.

A lot will fail. As they do every year. Goals don't work for me and a lot of my clients either or they work sporadically and are limiting. Why?

Two things spring to mind.

One, most of us set goals that are well within our limits. Within our comfort zone. There is no real joy in achievement and therefore motivation is lower and when obstructions come our way it is easier to cave in and do it next year! It wasn't that big a deal anyway!

Two, goals always position themselves in the future. They are a distant aspiration. We are living for a future achievement. Even when we plan we plan for the future. We never live in the Now. If and when we achieve there is not much joy other than a momentary sparkle because we now crave the next buzz, the next goal.

In both instances we might miss out on joyful living. And joy, fun and happiness are what we crave daily.

What I have tried to do for the last 2 years with running is to set intentions based on my core values of 'Joy' and 'Peace of Mind'. It is my intention to run as many marathons as I can enjoy and train as part of my peace of mind flow. And I do this daily.



I set figures that are based on these intentions to get a general direction.

Last year the figures were 6 marathons and 1,000 miles. I managed 7 and 1,188 miles.
This year the figures were 12 marathons and 2,015 miles. On December 14th I am at 15 Marathons (1 more booked) and 1,958 miles (with 18 days to go).

Marathon number 15 for 2015 in Sixmilebridge

These intentions and direction are less limiting. By doing every day what I love doing I got more done than I thought I could. Clients who try this are reporting similar overachievements.

Intentions and direction based on core values. Then daily I do what I love doing most to the best of my ability. So every day becomes joy! Every day becomes achievement. Every day is a peaceful step in the direction of the intentions.

And if you have a bad day, you know the next one is probably going to be better.

The secret is simple. It is in daily engagement with your intentions. In a fun, joyous way.

There, I said it! And the beauty is that it is for everybody!! Yes, that's you too!

Feel free to try! And let me know how you get on! Don't set your usual goals for 2016!!! Set intentions, direction and find daily joy!

Miles with Smiles!!

Patte xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment