Monday 25 April 2016

Fatigue means time to reflect without blame.

It's been 2 weeks since the Ultra. And the body is still not fully recovered. I ran 10K on Monday, 8.5 miles on Wednesday, 7.2 miles on Friday evening followed Saturday morning by a 10.61 mile run. I could not get out for a run yesterday Sunday. My knee and groin strains are still there and my breathing during running was a tad heavier than normal.

Saying that the pace was still my usual training 8.30-8.45 min/mile. It's just that it seemed a little less easy. I also realised looking at my calendar I have just gone for 8 runs so far in April in 25 days. 2 of these runs were a Full Marathon and the 39.3 mile Ultra.

I reflected on this yesterday in the office as I am preparing for 5 races in May and June, 3 Full Marathons and 2 Ultra's.

First of all I accepted that nothing went wrong and I didn't need fixing. This is often people's starting point for reflection. Fix what is wrong. Play the blame game. I knew nothing had gone wrong as I completed both races I set out to do in April.

So what did I need to change? Doing less running is not an option. :) Doing more running is my preferred option. So what got me tired? Well the ultra was energy sapping because of the weather conditions. I had to literally empty the tank 2 weeks ago to just finish.



Then I looked at my diary for the last 2 weeks. Immediately upon my return from Connemara I had a day full of client meetings. Then I had 3 full days of giving training. That's standing up in a training room and walking around all day. On Saturday I spoke in Thomond Park, standing around all day and on Sunday I attended a Mental Health fair in Limerick Milk Market, standing all day.

Ideal recovery?? :)

Anyway this will happen again so I can't stop doing that either.

What can I control? Nutrition, sleep patterns and adding a full recovery day off my feet after a race.

That's it. It's that simple. It took a review however rather than a blaming exercise.

So that's the lesson. Regardless of what you do. Review without blame and take simple actions to make things better.

Better Nutrition, 8 hours sleep/day and 1 full day recovery sessions planned after each race.

Next up in 6 days is the Barrington's Hospital Great Limerick Run Marathon. Marathon or Ultra Race number 9 this year, number 42 in total. #50at50 I'm taking it easy running this as a training run.



Miles with smiles,

Patte xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment