Friday 16 January 2015

It's more than a sporting event!

Apart from icy conditions I love this time of year for training. It's like a metaphor for life really. It's not always easy to get up and go (for a run). The (weather) conditions are not always ideal (for running). Getting up early in the dark or keeping going later in the day in the dark can be a challenge.

Yet all it takes is the first step (sometimes that means the first Mile) to get going and warmed up. And then the joy of having had the courage to take the chance makes you feel accomplished and real. You did it, you had the guts and put on the brave face. And the momentum of that mind set and all your experience to date does the rest and before you know it you are flying down the road.

On the road there are obstacles. Things (in running that is cars, dogs and bikes) come from nowhere to challenge your stability, you need to stay fresh and renewed to keep going (hydration is crucial) and you have to keep a balance (check speeds and length of runs) to stay happy.

Within weeks you have what's called a habit. I run now because I can, because it is part of my day. It is no longer if but what time and how far. I'm clocking 40 mile weeks without feeling in trouble within weeks of starting my new habit. If I can do that with running, I can do that with anything. And so CAN YOU!

Back to the challenge of 12 Marathons in 12 months in 2015. My first Marathon as you may know is Lilliput, Westmeath Saturday 24th of this month (in 8 days crikey!!). I also received the good news yesterday that the amazing people of Marathon Club Ireland (MCI) are organising Back to Back Marathons from UL Boat Club on February 28th and March 1st. I'll do the Saturday as my 2nd Marathon.

Other than that I did train through the conditions this week (3 sessions in 4 days) and am doing 10 K tonight, around 9 Miles tomorrow and whatever I get to over 14 miles on Sunday!

Please share my blog and donate on http://www.mycharity.ie/event/patrick_mercies_12marathonsin12monthsin2015
This is your challenge!! Are you willing to accept it? Donate and share my Blog and make me sweat buckets in the freezing cold!!!!!

Talk to you Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment