Friday 26 February 2016

Being your self is flippin' hard but so flippin' worth it.

This is going to come as a surprise to many. I have been a people pleaser my entire life. Always trying to accommodate others. Always putting myself second. Never saying what I really think just in case.

It's the environment we live in. We are told that you need to compromise to make it. That you will only get there if you don't upset to many people. That you have to wear a tie and suit to the office. That your ideas need to fit in with the bigger picture. That the needs of the community supersede the needs of the individual.

That you should have a house. That you need a holiday because you need to take a break from time to time. That you need this handbag, that car, follow this team.

Everything is working fine as long as it is from within a controlled environment.

Deep down I always knew what I wanted. And so do you. I always just wanted to be me. Just be myself with all my flaws, brilliance, rough edges and diamond ideas. I actually wrote it down as an 18 year old. It was written in my native language: 'Ik wil doen wat ik wil, wanneer ik wil, waar ik wil en met wie ik wil.' 'I want to do what I want, when I want, where I want and with who I want'.


It has taken me until my 50th to realise the full impact of that statement. Oh, I have been coming nearer and nearer to understanding it in the last 5 years. But now it's quite simply my life mantra and I don't give a fiddler's if you like it. ;)

Saying that, it is not easy. I am constantly being told I'm doing the wrong thing. I'm being told to come back to the fold. I'm listening to this and all I hear is people who want to do what I do but haven't found the way yet.

I run marathons for the love of running. I will run whatever distances and races I want, when I want, where I want and with who I want.

I will professionally help other people, companies and organisations to live and work contributing to others lives and doing so intentionally. I will work at what I want, with who I want, when I want, where I want.

Simples, not easy, yet so flippin' worth it.

Does it work? Does it what? It works brilliantly when you do it thoroughly.

Check my running story. As soon as I stopped listening to all the people who told me that what I was trying to do was crazy, I started to be surrounded by people already doing it. I have now ran 36 marathons, 19 of which in the last 14 Months. What I want, when I want, where I want and with who I want.

Simples, not easy, yet so flippin' worth it.

Miles with Smiles!!

Patte xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment