Friday 10 April 2015

A mountain to climb! (Literally).

A full night's sleep is something I haven't had for nearly a week now. I've woken up with pains in my back every night. Could be from overcompensating for the Achilles strain. Could be from one or two other things I can think off. I'm typing this with a heat patch on my back and a taped up ankle.

And yet I'm at peace inside. I have been for a while now. You see I'm a Motivational Coach, Trainer and Speaker and I have a fair idea what my life is all about. My injuries are minor inconveniences compared to the challenges faced by the people I am collecting money for doing my 12 marathons in 12 months. They are minor issues, small stuff. And there is no point in sweating the small stuff. So I'm at peace with where I am and at peace with whatever will happen. I have finished every Marathon I started so far and I'm intending to keep that record intact. One step at a time.

I'm looking after the injuries best I can and will take the step across the start line at Lough Inagh in Connemara around 10.30am on Sunday morning. I actually feel privileged I will be one of just over 3,000 people running the Half, Full or Ultra Marathons in that gorgeous setting.

I'm running this race for the 3rd time so I know what to expect even though the unpredictable weather patterns make it a different race each time. In 2010 we had 22 degrees and no breeze making us gasp for water. In 2014 with dealt with a 30-40 mile head wind for the last 4 or 5 miles.

The first half is what I would call rolling terrain which is made extremely enjoyable to run because of the scenery. The second half is hilly with a rather steep 1 mile section just outside Leenane and then there is one of the Maumturk Mountains to run up and down between miles 22 & 26. This section is called the 'Hell of the West'. It is this 4 miles that will have people talking animatedly in the Pub later that evening. Runners talk about it with tears of joy in their eyes, wearing their iconic 'I hit the Wall in Connemara' Finisher T-Shirts with pride. Here's the profile with the Hell of the West climb near the end :)



So I have a mountain to climb on Sunday. And I'm looking forward to it.

Race Report here on Monday or Tuesday.

Meantime you can donate on http://www.mycharity.ie/event/patrick_mercies_12marathonsin12monthsin2015

No comments:

Post a Comment