Monday 27 April 2015

It's a Home Run and a heck of a Party! + What you can do!

Next Sunday I have to travel about 3 miles to the start line of my 5th Marathon in this 12 Marathons in 12 Months challenge for Gorta Self Help Africa. Here's the link for donations :) http://www.mycharity.ie/event/patrick_mercies_12marathonsin12monthsin2015

It's a Home Run for me indeed as the annual Great Limerick Run Marathon starts at 9am on Sunday from the beautiful Georgian part of the City that is Pery Square. The course then heads to Childers Road – Rosbrien Rd – Punches Cross – O’Connell Ave – Glentworth Street – Henry Street.
We then run onto Clare Street to aim for the University and Castletroy area as far as Vistakon, taking in the superb University Campus and the breath-taking Living Bridge. We return to the city centre reaching the halfway point on Parnell Street. We leave the City again towards Raheen and Raheen Business Park. Our tiring bodies then move over to the West side of the Shannon towards the Gaelic Grounds and the North Circular Road for the final 6 Miles, passing The Treaty Stone and Thomond Park Stadium, before finishing on Limericks O’Connell Street.

You can find the route on the Great Limerick Run website for those of you who want to strategically place themselves along the route with Jaffa cakes for me and shouts of encouragement for all runners. http://www.greatlimerickrun.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/GLR-Marathon-Map.pdf

On that day the Great Limerick Run Half Marathon and the 6 Mile run also take place. On Saturday there are kids Runs on UL Campus and a Runner's Expo there as well. Top that up with the Riverfest, Limerick's May Bank holiday 4 day festival and the Treaty City is THE place to be next weekend.



I want to specifically wish Roisin Meaney all the best of luck with her Half Marathon, she has been an A+ student, diligently following the training schedules and I am positive it will pay off on the day. Go Roisin!!

TRAINING UPDATE: Friday I was going out for the night (hadn't done that for a while, no drinks mind you) with business owners from BNI Treaty in the beautiful No1 Pery Square. Managed to squeeze in a 4.67 mile run before getting ready! Saturday morning it rained thankfully so I had the most enjoyable 9.5 mile run taking in part of Sunday's route.

Sunday morning something was not 100%. I couldn't get my head around it as I had slept well and had no pain other than the ankle niggle that is persisting but not inhibiting. So I did a breathing exercise (I truly recommend these) to tune in to my body and felt it was a bit tired. So I decided to give it a rest and downgraded my run from a 15 mile to 7.2 miles. I'll hopefully get the reward next Sunday.

Regards the Charity here's a reminder how you can help. I'm leaving you 4 options. (Please note doing nothing is NOT a valid 5th option).
1- Run a race this year of any length and get sponsored as part of my 12marathonsin12months team for Gorta Self Help Africa (picture on this blog).
2- Collect a sponsorship card and materials from me and collect money from your friends for my challenge for Gorta Self Help Africa (mention on this blog).
3- Get businesses to take a call from me to discuss corporate sponsorship (packages available from me at 083-3008963 or Patrick@forward2success.com )
4- Organise a fundraiser event with your club, network, organisation, office, sports and social, golf society etc... and I'll make an appearance and speak (I'm a motivational speaker).

Have a wonderful day and speak again later this week.

MILES WITH SMILES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment