Monday 11 May 2015

Letting go of stuff to achieve more!

To get more out of life you need to let go of old stuff. Old stuff you have become attached to. It is only when you let old stuff go that you make room for new stuff. New stuff that makes us be better or feel better. Letting go of that old stuff is uncomfortable though and you need awareness on how you do that best for yourselves. Everyone is unique so your ways of letting go are different too. Yet if you find the way it works best for you, you will get back way more than what you let go.

I have had to let go of so much old stuff I thought I enjoyed, often feeling I was losing parts of myself, as I clung on to that old stuff for dear life. Yet the more I am losing, the more the new stuff I get back, gets bigger. And what I am getting back is all really good stuff; energy, creativity, peace of mind, achievement, results, clarity, focus. To name but a few.

Confused? Right, here's an example of a few things I am letting go to be able to run this Marathon Challenge. I had to let go of fears and limitations first, the idea that I couldn't possibly run 12 Marathons in 12 months. Then when I started training I had to let go of late nights and lie-ins at the weekend. As I started doing more miles and training 6 days a week, I completely let go of alcohol at the start of this year.

Because of my increase in mileage I am starting to feel tired in the last week or so. My first reaction is what do I let go? So I checked my nutrition and discovered a serious deficiency in it. My refined sugar intake is Massive. So my letting go plans kicks in. The one that I know has worked for all the other 'letting go' strategies.

First reduce the stuff for a couple of months, then quit for a period of time, then regulate intake to 'normal' proportions. Again this is just the way I do it, your strategy of letting go is going to be different, it is about finding what works best for you. So I'm reducing my sugar intake by 50% for the rest of May from today. And replace it with food and drinks that are better for me. Then another 50% for June (that's 75% in total, I know, I'm into maths). After that I'll check how I feel and decide on the next step.

So Refined Sugar is what I need to let go next. What will I get back? My educated guess is energy, better sleep, increased performance, peace of mind and strength. And I need all these to perform the next part of my challenge: 5 marathons in 8 weeks.


June 1st Cork City Marathon
June 13th Portumna Forest Marathon
June 27th Waterford Viking Marathon
July 11th Marathon des Escargots Portarlington
July25th Keith Whyte Marathon Courtmacsherry

To be completely honest letting go is really hard sometimes, but what I get back is so much bigger than what I leave behind that it has always been more than worth it.

Think about that today. To achieve more, you need to first let go!! Have a wonderful week!

Donations can be given online at http://www.mycharity.ie/event/patrick_mercies_12marathonsin12monthsin2015

No comments:

Post a Comment