Tuesday 4 August 2015

What you love becomes what you do.

I come across a lot of people who tell me they want to do something different in their life but they don't know where to start. They want to shake things up a bit without throwing their entire being upside down. Just one thing. Something that they enjoy and is good for them. But what is that???

There are different equally valid ways to find out what your next step is going to be. By exploring your interests, your values, reading books, checking which programs on radio or TV you enjoy most etc...

Another really fun way of discovering what you might do next is trying things out. Write a blog to find out if writing is what you want to do. If you think you are into food, go to a local cookery class. Go to a CoderDojo to check your interest in coding.

That's how I rediscovered running. I decided to try and run Dublin Marathon in 2008 for charity. My first 'run' was 0.75 miles and I had to walk back. Yet I had committed to running the Marathon and kept going. And I fell in love with it. Slowly at first and head over heels later.

I knew I was an outdoors person so I had tried Golf before but didn't like it as it was to static and monotonous for me personally. If running had not worked I would have tried something else next, probably hill climbing.

So now 7 years later, running is not even a sport to me anymore. It is a love and a way of life. It is an integral part of my being. It teaches me to sleep better, eat better, continuously push boundaries, to overcome obstacles easier, to move forward relentlessly. It has a positive effect on nearly everything in my life.

So go on, be adventurous and start trying new things. If they don't fit in, move on. If they do, stick to it and you too might discover a new love. Something that will make you a happier person. Isn't that what we all want? More happiness?!

On Friday I went for a short 4.67 mile run as I had decided to attend the Saving Grace runs in the University of Limerick on Saturday and Sunday morning. Running legends Stevey McGeown and Larry Maguire from http://100marathons100days.ie/ were in UL running marathons 72 & 73 and dedicating them to Grace Kenneally from Galway who is 10 and fighting cancer for the third time.



So both days I ran the 4 and a bit miles from home to the UL Arena, did a 6.5 mile lap with them and ran back home. That meant 14.74 miles on Saturday and 15.23 miles on Sunday. Back to Back 15 miles for the first time believe it or not and the Sunday was easier than the Saturday so that promises for the Back to Back Marathons I will attempt some time in the future when I feel like it.

As we all paid €25 in to run, all funds went to saving Grace and I believe €1,000 was raised. And I was in the company of like minded people. The best way to spend weekend mornings :)

The Saturday Saving Grace runners!

Thanks Gerladine Cawley for the invite, it was tremendous fun. And look at the bling Stevey and Larry are giving for running with them! :)



Regards my own Challenge of 12 Marathons in 12 Months for Gorta Self Help Africa, Marathon 11 is on August 29th in Craughwell, Co. Galway as a guest of Craughwell AC. You can donate on http://www.mycharity.ie/event/patrick_mercies_12marathonsin12monthsin2015

No comments:

Post a Comment