Monday 25 January 2016

Marathon Club Ireland Lilliput Marathon race report.

As travelling in the middle of the night at silly o'clock to Marathons is not something that's in the 'I love doing' bucket, we travelled up on Friday evening to Tullamore in Offaly. There's a couple of things about that town that make it an ideal base for Midlands marathons.

I know the town and have stayed there a number of times. It has a great pre-marathon restaurant in the 'Captain House Restaurant', a place I have eaten beautiful food on a couple of occasions. It has some decent hotels. It is 30 minutes in the morning from the Lilliput Adventure Centre. Lilliput is a 75 bed hostel at the shores of Lough Ennell within a forest near the 'Nure Bog' between Kilbeggan and Mullingar in Westmeath.

Last year this was my first marathon of what ended up being a year of 16. I remember a delayed start because of ice on the roads and a -1 starting temperature. No chance of a repeat this year. +7 at the start and cloudy yet dry conditions.

Arrived at 8.30am to see some of the early starters enter their first big lap. There is always 2 starts at Marathon Club Ireland races to accommodate people who take longer and also those that need to be home early.

Marathon Club Ireland (MCI) Marathons are quite unique. A lot of the participants are seasoned Marathon runners and the atmosphere is very convivial and friendly. The 2 starts mean the competition is almost always personal rather than against others. I love that aspect of running. Purely for the love of it. And MCI excel at friendly races packed with support, camaraderie, respect and love.

This was confirmed again at Lilliput. We were running a once off loop of just over 2 miles followed by 4 loops of 6 miles. The course was a quite flat (You know about my predilection and love for hilly courses) and was part tarmac, part trail. As there was a loop back on the course we got to meet other runners on a continuous basis which makes for brilliant atmosphere, high fives, encouragements and a feeling of togetherness. Another thing that is so nice about MCI races.

The camaraderie at MCI Marathons is legendary, here with Valerie Fogarty and Dec Mc Donagh. (Picture Stephen Mooney)
 
Personally I am getting stronger. As a result of combining a few of the things I love most (work, running, contributing to others, food & travel) into intentional living, I am enjoying what I do even more. This makes for a balanced approach both mentally and physically to all aspects of life. Top that with the brilliant results from going vegetarian Monday to Friday and I am covering 150% mileage compared to my record year in 2015.

And for the moment at least this is happening with relative ease. Yesterday Sunday I had a radio interview with Limerick City Community Radio (lccr.ie) and I ran the 4.36 miles to the station and back (8.72 miles in total). Less than 20 hours after finishing a Marathon. Without discomfort. In fact feeling great afterwards. (I will post the link to the interview here soon).

I am so convinced of the results of this intentional lifestyle I am ready to spread its fantastic results launching it to all who want serious change in their life and take control back. More about this very soon.

Back to the race I finished the 26.22 miles quite easily. It started raining on the last lap and as a confirmed pluviophile that meant a great finish.


At the end of the week I have covered 194 miles so far in January. I am doing more of what I love. And that can only be good.

MCI Marathon medal.

A BIG, BIG thank you to all involved at MCI (from committee to food table volunteers to the sausage and soup delivery team) for yet again delivering beyond what is expected at your marathons. What a Club!!!!

So that's number 34 in the bag. And number 1 of 2016. The journey continues and if it's even possible I love running more and more each week!

Getting the MCI medal from Vincent Guthrie, 34 done!
(Picture Maura Coppinger)

Next race is the Milford 10K in the University of Limerick next Sunday. I am running the 5 mile to the start and back, making it a 16 miler. More about that next Friday!

In the mean time learn to live intentionally, it'll suit you! :)

Miles with Smiles, Patte xxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment