Monday 6 July 2015

Are you sure you want to succeed? Relentlessly?

This weekend I got asked a couple of times: How do you do that? Running that much can't be good for you! Working 7 days a week is sad! Why do you do that to yourself? Do you not need a break? And then I ask: What do you think it takes to run full Marathons at 2 - 3 or 4 week intervals? What does it take to achieve something in business you know will make a difference to thousands of people? What do you think it will take me to succeed?

Monthly, books are written on Success, lectures and seminars given weekly. 'Experts' are charging large fees to people to lecture them on how they are going to teach them the route to success in one afternoon or 9 sessions of 3 hours etc...!!

Success is not made in an afternoon or a couple of evenings of seminars. If it was, everyone would be doing it. Everyone would be succeeding in everything they want.

Here's part of a speech by a guy who I believe walks the talk on Success, Eric Thomas!

'I’m here to tell you that number one,
most of you say you wanna be successful
but you don’t want it bad, you just kind of want it.
You don’t want it as bad than you wanna party.
You don’t want it as much as you want to be cool.
Most of you don’t want success as much as you want sleep.
Some of you love sleep more than you love success.
And I’m here to tell you today,
if your going to be successful
you gotta be willing to give up sleep.
You gotta be willing to work with 3 hours of sleep
2 hours of sleep, if you really wanna be successful.
Some day your gonna have to stay up 3 days in a row.
Because if you go to sleep you might miss
the opportunity to be successful.
That’s how bad you gotta want it.'

Whatever Success means to you based on your values, desires and passions. You are going to have to give up what is not serving you and replace it with what is serving you to be successful. And that is 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. Relentlessly moving forward towards your decision to succeed.



Personally I have a couple of passions I want to succeed at to the best of my ability. And as I build up steam on the path to success I now train 6 days a week most weeks and work 7 days a week most weeks. Each week 1% more and better. Relentlessly. And I'm loving every minute of it because I am following my passions! And why would you need a break from your passions?

I could have rested after last weekend's 3rd marathon in 1 Month, something I had never done before. Instead I trained 6 days last week. Relentlessly. Monday 10K, Tuesday 10K, Wednesday 10K, Friday 11.5K, Saturday 15.2K, Sunday 15.2K. And I'm training again Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week. And Racing a Full 42K Marathon next Saturday. Relentlessly.


What do you want to succeed at? How bad do you want it? Do you really want to pursue it? Relentlessly? Is it your passion and is it making a difference? If you do, let me know! I might want to work with you helping you to achieve too!

I am running the Marathon des Escargots in Portarlington next Saturday as Marathon Number 9 this year of a 12 Marathons in 12 Months challenge for Gorta Self Help Africa. You can sponsor the Challenge on http://www.mycharity.ie/event/patrick_mercies_12marathonsin12monthsin2015

No comments:

Post a Comment