Monday 20 July 2015

Moving forward. Relentlessly!

Regardless of your pursuits, dreams, decisions, goals, relationships or beliefs you are going to hit bumps along the journey you are on. Sometimes they will feel like the speed strips at the toll booth of a motorway and sometimes they will feel like you have to climb Everest off road.

You will deal with every single one of these differently depending on the severity of the bump, the impact on your life and the stage you are in on your journey.

They have all however got one thing in common. To get past them in the best way possible you want relentless forward movement. I've become a great advocate of that word recently. Relentless. To me that means 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year. Relentlessly moving forward. With differing intensity depending on situations, people and places. But relentlessly moving forward nevertheless.

I learned that standing still actually means regressing. So even chillin' out is purposeful and forward driven.

My journey to the 12 Marathons in 12 Months Challenge has hit a wee bump now. I was told by dozens of extremely well meaning people that it is a signal to slow down and relax. I really appreciate their concerns as they are willing me to succeed. I just read it slightly differently. It is a signal for me to learn to prepare better to achieve more.

And that is what I have been doing since I got a nasty dose of shin splints 9 days ago. I haven't run a yard since.

What I have done is figured out what I need to do to get me in the best shape possible at the start line in Courtmacsherry, West Cork this coming Saturday for the highly anticipated Keith Whyte Waterfront Ultra Marathon III. See the Youtube clip here and more on Friday's blog. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51-HS610nj8 Que sera, sera!

What I have done is get a Live Interview yesterday on Limerick City Community Radio promoting the Challenge and Charity. The podcast I have been told will follow.

 
Here's the 9 Medals of 9 Marathons ran so far this year. Recognise any??

What I have done is that I am putting a plan together that will help with better preparation regards gear, nutrition, training etc... This in order to achieve more. I know running 10+ marathons a year is something I can do so I want to get better at it and do some more crazy stuff.

This is what I can do to relentlessly move forward.

So next time you hit a bump in your journey, regardless of severity or timing, just ask what you can do to help you move forward. Regardless of the pace, moving forward!

Relentlessly, one day at a time!!!

You can support the Challenge for Gorta Self Help Africa at http://www.mycharity.ie/event/patrick_mercies_12marathonsin12monthsin2015

No comments:

Post a Comment