Saturday 18 July 2015

Not a yard I'm telling you, not a yard!

As you may know from Monday's race report I picked up an injury at the Marathon des Escargots in Portarlington last Saturday. The fact I got the injury within the first 5K made the race harder and has subsequently made the recovery harder. A week on there is still a niggle when simply walking yet there is improvement. But I haven't ran a yard since, not even 1!!

 
I have been told that this takes 2 weeks and then to start easing my way back in. Courtmac is on next Saturday. And I'm going to do what I can to make it. We will see next Saturday what gives. Courtmac is what we have been calling it in the Club.

The most amazingly wonderful, positive, can do people from http://runclon.ie together with Ultra Champion Runner Keith Whyte are organising The Keith Whyte Waterfront Ultra Marathon III, a fast stunning looped course leaving the picturesque village of Courtmacsherry , West Cork , where the sea is always by your side. There is a choice of five race distances 10 K, 13.1 M ,26.2 M, 36 M and 100 K .

On top of this Team Hoyt are visiting and racing with us. Team Hoyt is father and son Dick Hoyt and Rick Hoyt from Holland, Massachusetts, who have competed together in numerous marathons and Ironmans. Rick has cerebral palsy and during competition Dick pulls Rick in a special boat as they swim, carries him in a special seat in the front of a bicycle, and pushes him in a special wheelchair as they run. Team Hoyt was inducted to the Ironman Hall of Fame in 2008. It will be their first race ever in Ireland.

To top all that I am also being presented with my first Club medal from Marathon Club Ireland for having completed 25 Marathons. I have done 26 and Courtmac will hopefully make it 27 and 10 for the year yet I chose to get my medal at this event because it will be special.

So here goes. One more week to prepare best I can and then make a decision. Run, Walk or Don't start. I know which I want and I know what I can do. And I'm letting it play itself out.

Oh and I'm on radio tomorrow morning at 9am on http://www.limerickcitycommunityradio.org/ to promote the challenge and charity.

You can donate on http://www.mycharity.ie/event/patrick_mercies_12marathonsin12monthsin2015

No comments:

Post a Comment